2 lbs. broccoli
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
2 c. low sodium chicken broth
1-2 cups water
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 c. spinach
1/4 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, grated
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1. Sautee broccoli, onion, garlic, cayenne, and dry mustard on the stovetop for 5-6 minutes.
2. Add 1 c. water and baking soda.
3. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until broccoli is tender.
4. Add broth and additional water (if desired) and increase heat to medium high.
5. When mixture begins to boil stir in spinach until wilted.
6. Tranfer soup to a blender (I do it in batches), add cheeses and process until smooth.
7. Return soup to the stove and add water if desired.
8. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.